Saving energy doesn’t have to be expensive, and it doesn’t have to interfere with your everyday life. There are countless ways to save energy through simple fixes, and when compounded, you can lower your electricity bill as a result.
Start implementing these 15 quick tips and start saving money on your electric bill immediately:
- Upgrade your light bulbs. If you don’t already have fluorescent or LED bulbs installed in your home, it’s time to upgrade now.
- Unplug your television. Even when turned off, your TV continues to draw electricity. Other appliances, like stereos and Blu-ray players, do as well.
- Wash dishes by hand. It only takes a few extra minutes per night and it spares the use of the energy-consuming dishwasher.
- Use cold water for your washer. It has a minimal effect on your clothes and can avoid the costs of heating the water beforehand.
- Stop charging things overnight. Devices use electricity when plugged in, even if fully charged. Unplug them before going to bed.
- Use power strips. They collect various appliances and allow you to turn everything off at the same time.
- Use timers. For outdoor or indoor lighting, use automatic timers so you don’t have to worry about turning them on and off.
- Clean your filters and vents. Keeping the airways and filters free of debris allows for maximum efficiency when heating or cooling your home.
- Use curtains to your advantage. You can let natural light in instead of relying on light bulbs, and you can block out sunlight to keep your home cooler in summer.
- Check the seals of your refrigerator and freezer. Replacing or repairing the seals can make your refrigerator more efficient, especially if it’s an older model.
Energy conservation starts with baby steps, and these 15 tips give you a great foundation for a new energy lifestyle. For more energy-related household tips, keep reading the Star Energy Partners blog and consider signing up as a new Star Energy Partners customer!