Technology evolves rapidly, and it seems that every year ushers in dozens of new gadgets and apps to make life easier, simpler, or in this case, more efficient. Using technology to maximize your home’s energy efficiency is one of the smartest long-term choices you can make. While it might cost a bit up front to purchase these applications and appliances, the savings you’ll enjoy over time make those costs pale in comparison.
Consider using these tech-savvy strategies and appliances to save money:
- Smart Thermostats. Programmable and intuitive, smart thermostats automatically condition your house to a temperature that is optimal both for comfort and for energy efficiency. Many can even be operated remotely via smart phone apps.
- Efficient Chargers. Your chargeable appliances take a bigger toll on your energy consumption than you might realize. Even though it’s fully charged, your device will still draw energy if plugged in. New, “green” chargers exist to give your devices exactly the amount of energy they need—not a watt more.
- Automated Lighting. Lighting can be controlled automatically based on a number of factors, including the amount of daylight naturally entering the home. This allows for automated energy restriction without ever sacrificing the total amount of light in a given room.
- Smart Appliances. Smart appliances, like refrigerators, washers, and dryers, use technology to monitor and control energy consumption. That means increased efficiency, and usually extra features that traditional appliances don’t have.
- Energy Generators. Every year, methods of energy production become more affordable for consumers. Devices like solar panels could save you ample money on your electric bill.
Even if you’re not tech savvy, you can save money on your electricity bill by reducing your energy consumption and comparing commercial energy prices with Star Energy Partners.