Spring is here and that means your annual spring cleaning projects are just around the corner. While you’re clearing out the clutter and getting your home ready for the transition into summer, you can also take advantage of these great opportunities to save energy around your home!
- Take the time to get your home’s air conditioner checked. If it needs any required maintenance, you’ll want to get it taken care of early so you won’t have to wait on the repairs during sweltering summer heat.
- Upgrade your light bulbs to energy efficiency CFL or LED versions. You can also create some fancy mood lighting by installing dimmer switches!
- Mild spring weather provides the perfect opportunity to upgrade your home’s insulation or weather-stripping, as well as other yard work and exterior maintenance for your home. Take advantage of the cool weather to get all of your outdoor work done!
- Clear out your wardrobe. Not only will you be able to donate your old, unwanted clothes, but you can also make sure that you have a good variety of items that can help you regulate the temperature both at home and outside. For example, make sure that you have plenty of layers for when it is cold, but also light and comfortable clothes for the summer. When you feel comfortable in seasonally appropriate clothing, you won’t have to spend as much money on heating or cooling costs—this can save you a ton of money over time!
- Clean your refrigerator coils. When coils are dusty, a refrigerator’s job is much more difficult, causing it to drain even more electricity.
- You may want to consider replacing your glass storm door with a screen door. Once the weather heats up, you’ll be able to keep your door open and let a cross breeze flow through to cool you down!
Need to pick up some cleaning supplies before you begin your spring-cleaning? Make the purchase with the Star Energy Rewards app, and you’ll receive cashback on your purchase!