The high energy bills in winter lead to higher cost of living, and with so many other essential things costing more, it makes sense to look for easy ways to improve energy efficiency. If you want to save money on your electric bill, here are some tips to lower your expenses while still staying comfortable.
1. Wear layers of clothes. This reduces your need for more external heat.
2. Open curtains and let in the sun. Known as passive solar heat, this is an easy way to utilize the sun’s rays as a source of heat in your home.
3. Lower the thermostat at night. Not only will this reduce your heating costs, but it may also help you sleep better, as a lower body temperature often induces heavier sleep.
4. Keep your furnace filters clean. Your furnace won’t have to work so hard, thus increasing the energy efficiency of the unit. It will also help extend the life of your furnace.
5. Insulate, insulate, insulate. The more insulation you have, the less heat you will need to keep your home warm.
6. Use weather stripping around doors and windows. This keeps drafts away and traps heat inside the home.
7. Lower your hot water thermostat for the winter. 120 degrees Fahrenheit is normally all you need for home use of a dishwasher, bathtubs and showers.
8. Only heat the rooms you use. Employ space heaters rather than a central heating unit.
9. Use ceiling fans to push the warm air back down. This keeps the warm air circulating in the home.
10. Unplug unused electronics. You’d be surprised how much you can save.